Malacañang is still investigating whether President Rodrigo Duterte became close contact with his son Baste Duterte who was infected with coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
COVID-19 is now positive because the son of President Digong, Davao City Vice Mayor Sebastian “Baste” Duterte, said Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio on Wednesday.
“Wala po akong alam na close contact si presidente,” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said Thursday at a media briefing.
The siblings won the election. He has been appointed “acting mayor” of the city twice: from July 19 to September 17, 2019; and from September 28 to October 5, 2020
The Duterte family is a well-known stronghold of the city and province of Davao, where they hold various government posts.
As a result, their clan is sometimes referred to as a “political dynasty,” as are other political families.
Baste Duterte tests positive for COVID-19
Although it is not yet certain whether Baste Duterte’s illness will affect the State of the Nation Address (SONA) attendance this coming Monday, there are some Dutertes who have previously announced that they will not be able to attend.
“Nag-confirm na po si Mayor Sara na hindi po siya darating. Hindi ko lang po alam kung makakarating si Deputy Speaker Pulong [Paolo Duterte]. But I understand the number of members of Congress attending are also very limited po,” said Roque.
About 350 fully vaccinated individuals will be physically allowed to attend President Rodrigo Duterte’s last State of the Nation Address (SONA) on July 26 at the Batasang Pambansa Complex.
“As of now ang papayagan sa loob around mga 350 na tao… magkakasama na lahat, senators, congressmen, mga ibang government officials saka ibang mga VIPs or guests,” said House Secretary-General Mark Mendoza.
Mendoza announced that the Presidential Security Group (PSG) requirement that those who will be physically allowed to attend the SONA are fully vaccinated.
Apart from being fully vaccinated, those entering the plenary will also undergo RT-PCR and antigen testing.