Suicide bombing in Sulu

Bomber dies in another suicide bombing in Sulu
A militant died in another suicide bombing in Sulu after failed entry to military detachment, Sunday. 

A bomber died in another suicide bombing attack on a military detachment in Sulu, Sunday, September 8.

The said attacker was wearing traditional black gown and looked like a foreigner.

Military officials said that the militant tried to enter a detachment in Indanan town, Sulu province. The bomber failed and died when the bomb the militant was carrying exploded. As of today, the incident was already the third suicide attack in Sulu this year.

Regional military chief Lt. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana said the bomber failed to enter the detachment due to tight security.

Lt. Col. Gerard Monfort, a military spokesman in Sulu said that the troops took cover and assumed combat positions when the bomber refused to move away from the outpost’s gate.  The bomb bulged in the militant’s gown.

“A wary soldier yelled at the militant to ‘go away, go away’ and other soldiers who heard him took cover and assumed combat positions,” Monfort said. “Then an explosion killed the militant.”

Suicide bombing in Sulu damages

The blast did not injure anyone, but it damaged the detachment’s gate. Fortunately, there were no civilians in the area when the incident happened.

This attack was already the third bombing incident in Sulu just for this year. On January 27, an Indonesian militant couple bombed Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Cathedral in Jolo. The bombing in the Roman Catholic cathedral killed 18 people and injured 82 others.

All three attacks were linked to the Islamic State group in Sulu.

The military blamed the Abu Sayyaf group for the suicide attacks. The Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) is an Islamic separatist organisation in the Philippines founded by Abdurajak Abubakar Janjalani in 1991. They were known for brutal, high-profile bombings, assassinations, kidnappings, and attacks.

Also read: Islamic State admits IED explosion in Sultan Kudarat