The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) raised signal no.1 in Luzon and Visayas areas as Ambo became a severe tropical storm.
According to PAGASA’s weather bulletin issued at 05:00 pm, May 13, 2020, Ambo intensifies into a severe tropical storm while moving west-northwestward.
It is expected to bring scattered light to moderate with at times heavy rain showers during thunderstorms over Eastern Visayas tonight.
Ambo would bring moderate to heavy rains over Eastern Visayas, Catanduanes, Albay, Sorsogon, and Masbate tomorrow, May 14.
Residents in these areas are advised to take precautionary measures, coordinate with local disaster risk reduction and management offices, and continue monitoring for updates, especially the local rainfall or thunderstorm advisories and heavy rainfall warnings from PAGASA Regional Services Divisions (PRSD). Flooding and rain-induced landslides may occur in highly to very highly susceptible areas during heavy or prolonged rainfall.
Strong to gale force winds may begin to affect: Northern Samar and northern portion of Eastern Samar and Samar tomorrow afternoon; Sorsogon, Ticao Island, Catanduanes, and the southern portion of Albay on Friday morning.
Rough seas will be experienced over the eastern seaboard of the Bicol Region and the northern and eastern seaboards of Eastern Visayas today. Sea travel is risky over these areas.
AMBO is forecast to intensify further as it approaches the Eastern Visayas-Bicol Region area.
Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal no. 1 may be raised over the southern portion of Camarines Sur and the rest of Albay in the next bulletin.
At 4:00 pm today, the center of Severe Tropical Storm “AMBO” was estimated based on all available data at 315 km East of Borongan City, Eastern Samar (12.1 °N, 128.3 °E )
Ambo is moving West Northwest at 10 km/h with a maximum sustained winds of 95 km/h near the center and gustiness of up to 115 km/h.
Ambo Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal no. 1
- Sorsogon, Ticao Island, Catanduanes, and the southern portion of Albay (Oas, Tabaco, Ligao City, Pio Duran, Guinobatan, Malilipot, Jovellar, Camalig, Santo Domingo, Bacacay, Rapu-rapu, Daraga, Legazpi, Manito)
- Northern Samar, the northern portion of Samar (Calbayog, Sta. Margarita, Gandara, Matuguinao, Pagsanghan, San Jorge, San Jose De Buan, Tarangnan, Catbalogan City, Jiabong, Motion, San Sebastian, Paranas, Hinabangan), and the northern portion of Eastern Samar (Jipapad, Arteche, Maslog, Oras, San Policarpio, Dolores, Can-avid, Taft, Sulat, San Julian, Borongan City)
- 24 Hour(Tomorrow afternoon): 160 km East of Catarman, Northern Samar(12.7°N, 126.1°E)
- 48 Hour(Friday afternoon):20 km North Northwest of Daet, Camarines Norte(14.3°N, 122.9°E)
- 72 Hour(Saturday afternoon): In the vicinity of Conner, Apayao(17.8°N, 121.3°E)
- 96 Hour(Sunday afternoon):265 km Northeast of Basco, Batanes(21.9°N, 124.0°E)
- 120 Hour(Monday afternoon):1,280 km Northeast of Basco, Batanes (OUTSIDE PAR)(26.6°N, 132.6°E)
Also read: Homes of 3 families in Makati collapsed