ABS-CBN officially signing off tonight following NTC’s order

ADVERTISING
ABS-CBN officially signing off tonight following NTC's order
Image from Kapamilya Online World

ABS-CBN Corporation said in a statement Tuesday that all of its television and radio stations will be officially signing off tonight following the National Telecommunications Commission’s cease and desist order.

The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) has ordered ABS-CBN to stop its operations, including different TV and radio stations in the country, citing its legislative franchise already expired.

ADVERTISING

In an order issued on May 05, 2020, the NTC directed ABS-CBN to stop operating in various television and radio broadcasting stations nationwide, absent a valid congressional franchise that expired on May 4, 2020.

“The NTC Regional Offices shall implement the closure order in their respective areas of jurisdiction,” NTC said in a statement.

“Upon the expiration of RA 7966, ABS-CBN no longer has a valid and subsisting congressional franchise as required by Act No. 3846,” it said in a statement.

ADVERTISING

ABS-CBN officially signing off tonight following NTC’s order

Below is the statement of ABS-CBN:

STATEMENT ON THE CEASE AND DESIST ORDER ISSUED BY THE NTC TO ABS-CBN

Millions of Filipinos will lose their source of news and entertainment when ABS-CBN is ordered to go off-air on TV and radio tonight (5 May 2020) when people need crucial and timely information as the nation deals with the COVID-19 pandemic.

This is in compliance with the cease and desist order issued by the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) today that prohibits ABS-CBN from continuing its broadcast operations effective immediately.

Despite Senate Resolution No. 40, the House of Representatives’ committee on legislative franchises’ letter, the guidance of the Department of Justice, and the sworn statement of NTC Commissioner Gamaliel Cordoba, the NTC did not grant ABS-CBN a provisional authority to operate while its franchise renewal remains pending in Congress.

In an interview with DZMM last week, House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano even gave an assurance that there is no move to shut down the network.

ABS-CBN has been providing comprehensive news coverage on the public health crisis and working with local governments and the private sector in providing food and basic goods for those in need through its “Pantawid ng Pag-ibig” campaign. To date, it has delivered over P300 million worth of goods for the benefit of over 600,000 families affected by the enhanced community quarantine.

We trust that the government will decide on our franchise with the best interest of the Filipino people in mind, recognizing ABS-CBN’s role and efforts in providing the latest news and information during these challenging times.

ABS-CBN remains committed to being in the service of the Filipino and we will find ways to continue providing meaningful service to them.

Also read: NTC orders ABS-CBN to stop operations over expired franchise

ADVERTISING