A three-year-old girl died after choking on jelly candy in Gabaldon, Nueva Ecija. In such situations, find out what needs to be done to save the victim.
In a report by Ivy Hernando on GMA Regional TV “Balitang Amianan” on Thursday, it was said that the child’s parents did not hold an interview.
In this situation, the doctor advised what to do with people who choked and had difficulty breathing.
But the steps that should be taken to save the life of the person who choked depends on the victim’s age.
First, the victim’s mouth should be examined and determine if the object is deeply located.
If it’s deep and can’t be pulled, here are some ways to try to get the stuff out of the throat.
If the victim is one year old or below, perform “back blows” or have the patient prone while tapping the back.
If the object still cannot be removed, try an “abdominal thrust” with the child lying down while cuddling. In this way, the lower part of the baby’s rib cage is carefully pressed.
3-year-old child died of choking due to jelly candy in Nueva Ecija
Meanwhile, if the victim is age two and older, do the “abdominal thrust.” But this time, the patient is standing while the person helping him hugs from behind.
The rescuer will place one hand closed and push the other hand into the stomach so that the victim can vomit the swallowed object.
Just last week, “Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho” featured an incident in Cavite in which a 10-year-old boy also choked on candy but survived with the help of his mother’s abdominal thrust.
A CCTV video was shown at the family home laughing happily in the living room.
But soon, nine-year-old Paco was seen suddenly get up and leave the house.
At that moment, he could not breathe after choking on the candy that his mother, Jonabel, had brought to him.
When Jonabel noticed that the child was not breathing and his appearance was changing, she remembered her nurse friends’ teaching of “abdominal thrust.”