The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) believes that the three Filipinos abducted in Libya are still alive despite some reports indicating that they were beheaded.
Charles Jose, Foreign Affairs spokesman, said the department is sticking to its earlier statement that the Filipinos, who are working for an Italian oil company in central Libya, were abducted but have not been killed.
He added that the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli is “exerting all efforts to [know the] whereabouts of the three abducted Filipinos.”
“Our embassy representatives are using their network of contacts to obtain information that could lead them to the three abducted Filipinos,” Jose said.
He gave assurances that the government will continue “to ensure the safe release of the Filipinos.”
Jose again urged Filipinos in Libya “to remain mindful of their safety” and to register for repatriation as soon as possible.
Since July 2014, the Philippines has stopped deploying workers to Libya. Some 4,100 Filipinos have been repatriated since alert level 4 was raised there.
Last week, international media reports said the three Filipinos were beheaded by the group that took them.
But Jose said no group has claimed responsibility for the attacks on the oil field.
In July last year, a Filipino construction worker was beheaded by militants and a Filipina nurse was kidnapped and gang raped by a group of Libyan youth.
Latest posts by Timothy Walker (see all)
- Fil-Am and American turn themselves in on drug run in US - November 7, 2017
- Philippines suspends Uber, Grab vehicle registrations as backlog mounts - November 7, 2017
- Mad, bad or misunderstood? What is Kim Jong Un really thinking? - August 28, 2017