2 Filipino seamen dead in Mexico arson bar attack

ADVERTISING
2 Filipino seamen dead in Mexico arson bar attack
2 Filipino seamen dead in Mexico bar attack (Image from Reuters.com)

Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed 2 Filipino seamen dead in Mexico arson bar attack earlier this week.

The two Filipino seafarers were among the 28 victims of shooting and arson in a Mexican strip bar “El Caballo Blanco” in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico, August 27.

ADVERTISING

Reports said that the attack was related to the drug cartels and corruption happening in the state.

DFA extends its condolences to the bereaved families of the two seamen. It said, “The DFA extends its condolences to the families of the Filipino seafarers, and the Embassy stands ready to provide further assistance if needed.”

The identities of the victims were not yet revealed but the Philippine Embassy in Mexico “is now in touch with authorities and the Filipino seafarers’ manning agency for the repatriation of their remains.”

ADVERTISING

2 Filipino seamen dead in Mexico arson bar attack

Survivors and witnesses said that gunmen first sprayed bullets when they entered the bar. Suspects then blocked the exits and set the bar on fire.

“The criminals went in, closed the doors, the emergency exits, and set fire to the place,” said President Andrés Manuel López Obrador.

Mexican media reports said that the gunmen used Molotov cocktails to start the fire.

Because of the loud music inside the bar, patrons who were partying did not notice the attack until they saw the bar was already burning.

Most of the victims died of suffocation and smoke inhalation.

Gov. Cuitláhuac García identified the primary suspects as “La Loca” and gave his name as Ricardo “N.″ Authorities refused to disclose the suspects’ full names.

ADVERTISING