2 churches in Quiapo, Malate, locked down after priests tested positive for COVID-19

Two churches in Quiapo and Malate, Manila, were placed under lockdown after several priests tested positive for COVID-19.

According to Fr. Douglas Badong of the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene, they had a guest priest who acquired the coronavirus.

The priest got stranded in Manila due to the lockdown and was accommodated by Quiapo parish from March to June. He returned to Mindanao and was found to be positive for Covid-19.

Father Badong clarified that before the priest left, he underwent rapid testing in Manila and had negative results. All of the parish staff also tested negative in the rapid test.

Nonetheless, they decided to place the church under lockdown for two weeks until July 4. The online masses via Facebook, however, would continue, but no one is allowed to enter or leave the church.

Santisima Trinidad Parish in Malate is also locked down.

According to the statement of parish priest Fr. Jojo Buenafe, he and another colleague at the convent acquired the virus.

He was now quarantined in his room and had no symptoms, while his staff member was recovering in the hospital.

Also read: Church warns public against ‘holy’ alcohol, face masks

Over P1 million worth of suspected shabu seized in Marikina

Marikina City Police personnel recovered more than P1 million worth of shabu during a buy-bust operation in Barangay Concepcion Uno.

Based on a preliminary report by Police Cpt. Fernildo De Castro of the Marikina PNP also arrested two female minors who had been trading with their poseur buyer at 8 pm on Monday.

The suspects are both 16-year-olds – one is a student, and the other is a house helper. Both were residents of Brgy. Malanday.

Using boodle money, police traded for P7,000 worth of illegal drugs.

When the transaction was completed, police seized three plastic sachets of suspected shabu weighing 150 grams.

Meanwhile, a man was found lying unconscious on Quezon Avenue, around 10 pm last night.

The man who was wearing black pants and a blue shirt has yet to be identified. The man has no wallet or ID.

Quezon City sector officials are still investigating the man’s possible cause of death.

But according to some pedestrians on the road, a black SUV hit the man as he crossed the westbound lane of Quezon Avenue.