12 doctors arrested for quarantine violations in Cebu City

Authorities apprehended over 100 persons, including 12 doctors, for violating quarantine protocols between 11 p.m. Friday and dawn Saturday in Cebu City.

Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) conducted “Oplan Bulabog” to ensure residents are following quarantine protocols, which includes 11 pm to 5 am curfew and drinking liquor in public places.

Racquel Arrce, chief of the city’s Prevention, Restoration, Order, and Beautification (PROBE) team said the 12 doctors were caught drinking at an establishment in Barangay Banilad after attending a seminar at the Tinago Barangay gym.

The doctors paid the P500-fine and were released.

Meanwhile, quarantine violators who could not pay the fines rendered community service instead.

“No legal charges were filed. This is purely administrative,” said Arce.

According to Police Lt. Col. Wilbert Parilla, deputy city director for operation of CCPO, the physicians were considered authorized persons outside residence (APORs) but noted that their presence outdoors should be justified.

“You cannot just drink in public places just because you’re an APOR. As an APOR, you are only authorized to go outside if it’s part of your work,” said Parilla.

12 for quarantine violations in Cebu City

To prevent mass gatherings amid fiesta celebrations, armored cars from the Central Command were sent to barangays Suba, Pasil, and Sawang Calero.

The police and City Hall personnel have been strictly monitoring night establishments, hotels, and other public places to prevent social gatherings.

On January 15,  Cebu City reported the highest single-day cases for the past few months with 61 new cases.

The city recorded 56 more new cases last Saturday, bringing the total number of active cases to 570.

Last week, four  City local government employees were fired after drinking inside a school despite the city’s enforced liquor ban until January 31.

According to Davao City Public Safety and Security Command Center chief Angel Sumagaysay, the incident happened on January 2 at Bolton Elementary School, where the Rapid Action Team against COVID-19 is based.

The four job order employees are members of the Rapid Action Team.

According to Lemuel Ortonio, chief of the Human Resource Management Office (HRMO), the incident was first reported to the City Mayor’s Office along with photos of those involved and the alcohol they drank.