A 5.4 magnitude earthquake off the coast of Samar shook parts of Bicol and Eastern Visayas this morning (Monday, April 10).
The undersea earthquake comes two days after a “swarm” of quakes of up to magnitude six hit the Batangas region, shaking the island of Luzon and being felt in Metro Manila.
However, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has said that today’s quake was not related to those that hit Batangas on Saturday.
The latest quake was recorded by Philvolcs at 8.43am. It’s epicentre was about 68 miles northeast off the coast of Catarman at a depth of 16 miles.
It was felt at Intensity II in Catarman, Cabid-an, Northern Samar; and Juban, Sorsogon.
Intensity I was measured in Tacloban City and Palo in Leyte, Sorsogon City, Legazpi City, Masbate City and Borongan Eastern Samar.
Philvolcs analyst Karl Vincent Soriano said it was caused by a movement of the Philippine Trench. Any aftershocks are not expected to destructive and there are no tsunami warnings.
The US Geological Survey recorded the quake as being slightly more powerful at magnitude 5.7.
Meanwhile, President Duterte urged Filipinos to “always be prepared for disaster” as he left the country to visit three Middle Eastern countries.
Speaking of the Batangas swarm, he said that while residents were “still reeling”, he was relieved that no casualties had been reported.
“We are thankful to the national and local agencies in ensuring that the effects of the disaster are mitigated,” he said before flying out of Davao Airport.
Duterte added that while damage assessment was ongoing, he had directed relevant agencies “to accelerate the delivery of services and hasten the rehabilitation of the affected public infrastructures and utilities”.
“Rest assured, our government is on top of the situation. I have personally ordered that relief operations be undertaken immediately to restore normalcy in affected areas as soon as possible,” he said.