We all love to travel. Whether it is exploring new places, trying new cuisine, meeting new people or understanding diverse cultures, everything about travelling is exciting. If you can’t relate to what I’m saying, then just wait until you get smitten by the travel bug. While the desire to travel may be there, travelling is by no means a cheap affair. Luckily, we have learned the art of saving vigorously and have listed it below. So, if you are planning a trip, these tips will help you save big:
1. Create a Budget: This is the most important aspect of planning a trip. Budgets can be detailed or broad. The kind of budget depends on the kind of person you are. Regardless of how meticulous a person you are, budgets help you understand the amount of money that can be spent, which subsequently aids in deciding the mode of travel, accommodation, food etc.
2. Pack your essentials: Most often we tend to go overboard when it comes to packing, catering to every pre/post-apocalyptic situation. Soon we realize that most of what we carried weren’t even required. A good understanding must be obtained of the essentials required, and those essentials must be carried otherwise a lot of money, time and effort are wasted lugging around extra baggage.
3. Be smart while booking flight tickets: A lot can be said about flight tickets. This is where the majority of the budget gets used. For a first, book flight tickets early. No matter how clichéd this might sound, early bookings are most often the cheapest. The longer and usually costlier routes can be exploited using early bookings. Cheap flights from Delhi to Bangalore, which is a 2hr 45min flight, can be bought using such early booking. Booking portals keep track of your cookies and server details; this often causes a large fluctuation in prices. So be smart while using your devices. Try your best to look for deals. If you are a frequent flyer to an airline, you can also utilize their loyalty rewards program.
4. Eat cheap: Cheap food is not bad food. While fancy restaurants are incredibly attractive, the traditional cuisine has a far greater presence on the streets. While you must be careful when consuming cheap food, it is almost always a better alternative in terms of taste and value for money.
5. Make your own food: Eating cheap is one option, making your own food is the other. This is especially beneficial while travelling in a group. Purchasing groceries and other materials and cooking by yourself will help save a significant amount of money.
6. Accommodation: This is one of the most important aspects of planning a trip. There are a few points to keep in mind while booking accommodation. The first is to book by necessity, the second is to check the locality, and the third is to remember that the reviews are far more important than the looks. Shared rooms, private rooms, resorts are all trending nowadays and are doing far better than hotels. These are cheaper and in most cases, offer a more homely experience as compared to hotels. You can also try to combine your flight bookings with your hotel bookings; this tends to reduce the overall cost of your trip. Cheap flights from Delhi to Bangalore can be combined with reasonably priced hotels to give an overall reasonable package.
7. Don’t fall prey to tourist bait: Remember, when you’re travelling to foreign lands, you will look like a tourist no matter what. Remember always to keep your options open and survey before buying anything.
8. Transportation: Almost all major cities have efficient public transport systems. These are a much cheaper and better alternative to taxis. Getting a day or a week pass makes travel very convenient. Also, walk to whichever place possible and only in the rarest of occasions should taxis be an option.