Manny Pacquiao has said he “can’t wait” for a title fight against Argentinian Lucas Matthysse in Kuala Lumpur this July.
Announcing the bout on Twitter, boxing promoter Oscar De La Hoya wrote: “Signed, sealed, and delivered: Proud to officially announce that WBA welterweight world champion @MatthysseLucas will put his title on the line against @mannypacquiao in Kuala Lumpur, Malyasia on Saturday night July 14 (US time).”
Senator Pacquiao then took to his own social media accounts today (Tuesday, April 3) to confirm the fight. “It’s on! Can’t wait to challenge Lucas Matthysse for another world title on July 15 in Kuala Lumpur, Malyasia – July 14 US time,” he wrote.
‘Malaysia’ was misspelt in both messages.
Pacquiao, aged 39, had previously said that the Matthysse fight would take place on June 24.
‘The Packman’ has not fought in the ring since his controversial points defeat by Australia’s Jeff Horn in Brisbane last July, a loss that cost the Filipino star his World Boxing Organization crown.
The 35-year-old Matthysse, who has 39 wins including 36 by knockout against four defeats, won the vacant World Boxing Association belt after beating Thailand’s Teerachai Sithmorseng in January.
“This is going to be a tough fight. Matthysse is also a knockout artist,” Pacquiao had said last month.
“I’m the underdog in this fight but I’m used to it. It serves as a big motivation for me to train and fight hard to win the crown,” he added.
Pacquiao has 59 wins to his name including 38 knock-outs against seven defeats and two draws. His last victory inside the distance was back in 2009.
Meanwhile the Pacquiao camp announced today that a joint press conference with De La Hoya and Matthysse in Manila had been tentatively scheduled for April 11. No venue has been set.