An Australian who directed the online rape of Filipino children has had his “manifestly inadequate” sentence increased.
The Sydney hotel worker watched the abuse on Skype, giving the ‘thumbs-up’ as the youngsters were raped by a man carrying out his instructions.
The 44-year-old was also found to have hundreds of child abuse images and videos, including of a baby aged about six to eight months.
Speaking at his sentencing hearing in March, he said: “The children appeared happy… the children appeared to be receiving benefit from the actual situation.”
In June he was sentenced to 10 years with a non-parole period of six years. Handing down the sentence, New South Wales District Court Judge Chris Craigie described Beattie’s crimes as “evil and morally repugnant”.
However, today (Monday, December 11) the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal has increased the sentence to 14 years with a non-parole period of 10 years.
Justices John Basten, Michael Walton and Derek Price upheld crown submissions about the inadequacy of the sentences imposed.
Referring to one particular offence, Justice Price said Beattie “was a live spectator and active participant, via real-time video link of the gross sexual abuse of pre-pubescent Filipino boy”.
He said the conduct was “vile and heinous” and the sentence “falls well short of adequately reflecting the gravity of the offence and the need for general deterrence and denunciation” of it.
Beattie had previously pleaded guilty to 23 offences including possessing child abuse material and causing a child under 16 to engage in sexual intercourse outside Australia in his presence.
He was arrested in 2015 after police seized his laptop and external hard drive and discovered hundreds of child abuse images and videos.
One folder contained 132 videos in which he watched and directed the live online rape of 17 boys in the Philippines.
Beattie made 41 payments to the Philippines totalling $4,150 in 2011 and 2012 with investigators alleging they were for the live sexual abuse.