The number of fatalities confirmed since chaos broke out in Marawi has passed the 500 mark.
Speaking at a press conference today (Monday, June 10), presidential spokeswoman Marie Banaag gave a breakdown of the casualties:
The number of civilians killed by terrorists remained at 39.
The number of slain militants rose from 353 to 379, while government troops lost two more men bringing the total to 89.
In all, as of Sunday, July 9, 507 people have lost their lives.
Ms Banaag added that 1,723 civilians had been rescued by government troops, local government units, and civil service organisations.
Meanwhile, 25 more high-powered firearms have been recovered from the terrorists, bringing the total to 451.
Meanwhile, the Department of Social Welfare and Development reported that a total of 101,013 families or 471, 224 people have been displaced by the crisis.
Military spokesman Brigadier General Restituto Padilla Jr said: “On the part of the Armed Forces, may I just relay that the offensive operations are positively ongoing. We continue to gain headway in our operations on the ground.
“Troop morale is high primarily because of the continuing public support that they are experiencing. And as a result of that, our troops are continuously forward-looking, hoping and looking forward to resolve this issue or this incident in Marawi at the soonest time possible.”
On the 49th day of the siege, he declined to say when he expected the city to be fully cleared of Islamic State-affiliated militants.
However, he added that there were no more than 100 fighters holding out, including foreign jihadists and children. Militants continue to hold an unknown number of civilians who are being used as human shields.
“They are not groups anymore. They are just individuals or small groups, but still the threat that they pose is clear and present,” he said.