Police forces across the Philippines are on red alert status as the death toll of the second Isulan bomb attack rises to two.
Speaking at a press conference today (Monday, September 3), police spokesman Senior Superintendent Benigno Durana said: “I just received information from the regional director of Soccsksargen, another victim died 10.15am this morning.”
The town of Isulan was bombed by still unidentified men yesterday evening.
The blast first caused the death of 18-year-old Jan Mark Palencia Lupa, who succumbed in hospital during an emergency operation shortly after the blast.
The second fatality has been named today as Marialyn Lupa, a 15-year-old girl who was a relative of the first victim.
At least four other were left critically injured by the explosion in an internet cafe. Ten others sustained less serious injuries.
Second bombing in Isulan
The explosion follows another attack on Friday last week, which left three dead and dozens injured. This bomb targeted a local fiesta.
National police chief Oscar Albayalde has now placed his personnel on red alert status. He said: “I have instructed our men on the ground to increase patrol, tighten security in the area, and intensify our cooperation with all other allied forces.”
Today, he also announced that he had relieved the chief of police of Isulan and the provincial director of Sultan Kudarat in light of the second attack.
According to Army intelligence, the attack was most likely conducted by the Islamic State-affiliated Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF).
The Governor of Sultan Kudarat, Pax Mangudadatu, has offered a one million peso reward for any information leading to the arrest of the culprits behind the August 28 bombing.
Police have released a computerised sketch of a suspect in connection with the attack.
Follow our Facebook page for daily news updates