His arrest came just two days after the Sandiganbayan ordered a warrant for Purisima’s arrest, along with ten others who are facing graft charges in connection with the anomalous courier service deal which the PNP entered into contractually in 2011.
The PNP received information that Purisma was to arrive in Manila from Butuan on Friday afternoon – officials said that the ex-PNP chief did not surrender to authorities as he officially did not give himself up.
Officials said that “We served the warrant of arrest to him at the airport.”
Those also issued a warrant of arrest for the same infraction include:
- Former FEO Education and Enforcement Management Division chief Melchor Reyes
- Former FEO assistant chief Allan Parreño
- Former Firearms and Explosives Office – FEO chief Napoleon Estilles
- Former Civil Service Security Group chief Gil Menes
- Servicing Legal Officer, Ford Tuazon
- Werfast Documentary Agency Inc. to include – Juliana Pasia, Mario Juan, Lorna Perena, Salud Bautista and Enrique Valerio.
The Ombudsman issued a recommendation of 30,000 pesos bail to each of the accused.