President Duterte said on Monday that he saw no reason why the Philippine government should talk peace with the Abu Sayyaf group.
In a brief statement with the press, the president said: “I am very sorry to say but there is no [peace] talks about these things with the Abu Sayyaf.
“I will not deal with persons with extreme brutality. There is no redeeming factor or reason for me to sit down and talk with criminals.”
Duterte recently broke off a ceasefire agreement with the Communist Party of the Philippines after several attacks occurred on the island of Mindanao.
In his most recent statement he now says he will not negotiate with the Abu Sayyaf, however during his presidential compaigning he assured the people of the Philippines that he will find a peaceful solution or wipe them off of Sulu.
So far, over eleven battalions have been assigned in the regions of Sulu, with major losses to both sides, no good news has come out of the continuing battles with the notorious Abu Sayyaf terrorists.
President Duterte also said during his discussion that he will begin the framework for the peace process involving the Bangsmoro Basic Law – an agreement that is said will bring peace to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF).
Skeptics say there will never be peace in Mindanao and the BBL is a waste of time and effort.