A British child abuser who was deported from the Philippines to face justice is now being sued by five of his alleged victims.
Douglas Slade was arrested in Angeles City in 2015 and sent home to stand trial for child abuse committed in the UK between 1965 and 1980.
Now, four men and a boy who say they were abused by Slade during his 10-year stay in the Philippines have launched a damages claim — an historic first in a British court.
Slade, aged 77, is now serving life in prison, but has never been convicted of any criminal offence in the Philippines.
A judge is now analysing evidence at a High Court trial in London, which is expected to end later this week.
Judge Mark Gargan has ruled that none of the five claimants can be identified.
Lawyers say it is the first time that foreign nationals have made such a claim against a Briton in a British court for crimes committed overseas.
After Slade returned to the UK three years ago, police were waiting at London’s Heathrow Airport to arrest him for historic child abuse charges committed in England.
In July 2016 the child abuser was handed a 24-year jail term for these crimes.
Barrister Justin Levinson, who is representing the five Filipinos, today (Tuesday, October 9) told Judge Gargan that one of his clients was now 20, three were in their late teens, and one was 14.
He said Slade had abused them in the Philippines between 2009 and 2015 when they were children.
Slade had been prosecuted in the Philippines but five cases against him were dismissed.
Mr Levinson said his clients had suffered “personal injuries” as a result of Slade’s sexual abuse. Each claimant hopes to win between £15,000 and £30,000.
Slade denies abusing any of the five claimants and says their allegations are fabrications.
Follow our Facebook page for daily news updates