Philippines Latest News

Police and military beef up security on Palawan after US terror warning



Police and military say they have beefed up security on Palawan in the wake of the warning

The police and military have stepped up security measures in Palawan after yesterday’s US Embassy travel advisory warning of a possible kidnap plot.

A statement issued by police today (Wednesday, May 10) said: “We are in close coordination with other Intelligence Group especially with the Western Command based in Palawan is continuously conducting intensified intel gathering information and operations to enhance the security posture of the region on any possible terrorist attack.”

The statement further clarified this would involve “more stringent” mobile checkpoints, choke points operations and increased police visibility across the region.

The embassy advisory had said: “Terrorist groups may be planning to conduct kidnapping operations targeting foreign nationals in the areas of Palawan Province, Philippines, to include Puerto Princesa City, and the areas surrounding Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park.”

ALSO READ:   More than 250 Abu Sayyaf fighters taken out of action this year

Despite the specific nature of the warning — which has also been relayed by the UK and Canadian embassies — the military and police say they have not received any corresponding intelligence.

National police spokesman Dionardo Carlos said: “Stricter security measures will be undertaken while we are verifying the said information.

“All information, we don’t take it for granted. When we see validity – the source and reliability of the information – we validate through an intelligence fusion meeting with other intel units.”

Early last month, the embassy also issued another warning due to “unsubstantiated yet credible information that terrorist groups may attempt to conduct kidnappings in Central Visayas, which includes both Cebu and Bohol provinces.”

Just two days later, a group of Abu Sayyaf terrorists landed on the island of Bohol, apparently set on raiding a tourist resort on Easter Sunday.

ALSO READ:   Marawi City death toll passes 500 as 50th day of crisis looms

Thanks to a tip off from the public — and improved security in the wake of the embassy warning — the raid was foiled.

MORE ON ABU SAYYAF AND TERRORISM IN THE PHILIPPINES:

Battle-hardened Islamic State fighters plan to regroup in southern Philippines

Factsheet: The Abu Sayyaf terror group – who they are and what they do

“Now he kills me”: Last words of German beheaded by Abu Sayyaf

Duterte says Abu Sayyaf ‘not criminals’, and blames US for terrorism

Islamic State plotting new terror stronghold in Mindanao

Islamic State cash flows into Philippines disguised as OFW remittances