Philippines Latest News

You report, or we deport! Bureau of Immigration lays down law to foreigners

THE Bureau of Immigration (BI) has warned that foreigners who fail to report for annual registration will be deported from the Philippines.

The strict policy comes as the BI confirmed that the application deadline will not be extended, and remains set at Friday, March 3.

Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente also said that foreigners who failed to report could also be fined or imprisoned. “Undocumented foreigners or overstaying aliens must leave the country or otherwise they would be locked up in jail before being deported,” he warned.

“As of January 26, a total 50,414 aliens have made their annual report as required under Republic Act 562 or the Alien Registration Act of 1950,” he added.

BI data shows that there are more than 500,000 foreigners living in the Phillipines.

Morente said of the 50,000 who already registered, nearly half did so at the main BI office in Intramuros, Manila, while the rest paid their fees in one of the 49 bureau offices nationwide.

ALSO READ:   Man wanted for child sex offences in Las Vegas detained after visa check

The alien registration act provides that all registered foreign nationals must make their annual report within the first 60 days of every calendar year. The report fee is 300 pesos, with a “legal research fee” of 10.

Parents or legal guardians are responsible for registering children under the age of 14.

There now follows the full text of the BI’s official notice:

Notice to all Registered Aliens Re: Annual Report (AR) 2017

To implement the AR 2017, all registered aliens shall, within the first sixty (60) days of every calendar year, report in person to the Bureau of Immigration (BI) Main office at Intramuros, Manila, or to the nearest participating BI offices. The Annual Report 2017 shall be held from 03 January to 03 March 2017.

The parent or legal guardian of an alien who is less than fourteen (14) years of age shall have the duty of reporting for such alien. Failure to comply shall result in imposition of administrative fine and/or imprisonment, at the option of the Commissioner of Immigration.

An alien may be exempt from personal appearance, provided, the alien (i) personally appeared in at least one of the Annual Reports held in 2014, 2015, or 2016 with an accomplished AR form; (ii) presentment of official receipt of latest Annual Report Fee paid; (iii) payment of P500 express lane for non-appearance; (iv) presentment of a Special Power of Attorney (SPA) with valid government-issued ID of legal representative; (v) presentment of a valid passport; and (vi) undertaking to fulfill obligations (in case of aliens with CA 613 and/or RA 562 related liabilities).

The reportee shall present: (i) original ACR I-card and (ii) confirmation number issued via AR 2017 online system (for aliens who failed to accomplish AR 2014 form and AR 2015/2016 online form).

An alien who returns to the Philippines with a re-entry permit shall, if he/she has not yet made the required annual report, make such report within thirty (30) days from the date of his/her return to this country, no fines shall be imposed.

In addition, personal appearance shall be required for all Native-born Indonesians with paper based Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) distinguished as “Illegal Entrants” under Memorandum order No. AFFJR-05-003 in Southern Mindanao for the updating of registration records (IOO Section XIII k).

AR application forms and guidelines in the conduct of AR 2017, list of participating BI offices, AR 2017 online encoding system and all other information regarding AR 2017 shall be found in the BI website www.immigration.gov.ph and posted in all BI offices. All aliens are encouraged to report and remit payments at the AR 2017 BI designated offices.

The implementation of the Annual Report 2017 will be based on the guidelines of the 2016 Annual Report. In addition, per Operations Order JHM-2016-005, BI SM Aura Satellite Office is now included in the list of authorized offices to process AR 2017.

13 Comments on "You report, or we deport! Bureau of Immigration lays down law to foreigners"

1. The Dogs Back Wheels | February 1, 2017 at 10:08 am |

We go through the same thing every year.
    The residents will do this without constantly being told.
    The undocumented will not bother and those that have no desire to leave, will probably never be caught as no one is looking for them.
    Yet , they throw this about like they are grouping everyone together.

2. The Dogs Back Wheels | February 1, 2017 at 10:10 am |

Last year they made a point of saying how many Chinese had visited intramuros to register. I for one wondered how many thousand are here and did not.

3. The Dogs Back Wheels | February 1, 2017 at 12:28 pm |

They worry about our P310 but let their staff wander out with 50m

4. John Sanchez | February 1, 2017 at 12:31 pm |

I did my annual report two weeks ago. At an immigration satellite office conveniently located inside of a major mall. I combined my time there with a visit to the mall. It took me less than 5min in the immigration office, paid exactly 310 pesos, took my receipt. That was it. I do not see why should foreigners disobey this law and risk such dire consequences.

5. Terry Lynch | February 2, 2017 at 7:16 am |

I did my report last week at Sta Rosa satelite office in Sta Rosa city Hall. It took me 3 hours to get there in traffic from the west coast of batangas, but on arrival I was told they were offline. I sat and waited patiently while they sorted the problem and then I was processed immediately by helpful, polite and friendly staff. The internet problem here is something we all have to live with – including the authorities.
    I do get annoyed when I hear fellow immigrants boasting that they have never made an annual report. It gets us all a bad name.

6. The data says that 10% of those required to do so, have done it. It also says that 1/2 of those were done in the main office. There is probably another 20% out in the field offices that have not been turned in to the main office yet.

7. The Dogs Back Wheels | February 2, 2017 at 8:06 pm |

I do mine second week of Feb , so next week . yes it takes five minutes but i can have a Seven /Eight hour round trip on a bus.I like you Terry get a bit pissed knowing there are so many undocumented and pay zero to be here. It feels like they target us every year for the ones who never pay.

8. Dying laughing | February 3, 2017 at 7:46 am |

Anyone can enter and leave the Philippines without going through Immigration if they have contacts in the fishing industry. Ask the thousands of isis deserters arriving in Mindanao for instructions.

9. let us all be law abiding and legal FFs ..takes me over 5 hours to get to Zambonga City and the same coming back an overnight stay as for Isis what a load of shit ..

10. billy quinn | February 7, 2017 at 4:13 pm |

you know now I say no way in hell will I go there to spend my money ill use my 29m usd here my Philippine wife will come here it is sad because I love the Philippines the people as well as the land because we might forget I don’t need that shit

11. The Dogs Back Wheels | February 8, 2017 at 6:40 pm |

Ok ,So my report is complete for another year.
    Three minutes in the Satellite office ,sandwiches between a seven and a half hour bus ride.
    Why is it necessary to charge residents P300 yearly just for them to show they are alive.Your ACR card has to be renewed every five years , If you should expire maybe the spouse should inform the Bureau of your demise.I say again this is all about gaining extra money from those that have paid , when very little is being done about the thousands who don’t.

12. I for one was just totally ignorant of the requirement until a new Aussie friend told me about it. I retired from California to Tagaytay in 2015 and got my permanent resident i card in San Francisco before moving here. No one ever told me I was required to report every year. I thought nothing was required until my passport and i card both expired in 2020. However, after being told this was a requirement Thursday night, my wife and I went to the satellite office in Dasma yesterday morning. Other than a very grumpy female officer who had change, but did not want to make change for a 1000 peso bill, the process was fairly smooth. One of the male officers told my wife that this was a new requirement just passed for 2017 and no one said anything about my not registering in 2016. I think this is just another money making scheme here as it seems crazy to have to register every year if you have permanent residency status. At least this can be taken care of in one visit versus the LTO where I still don’t have my 2015 and 2016 sticker for our SUV because they ran out of stickers!

Comments are closed.