Philippines Latest News

Abducted Canadian John Risdel beheaded on gruesome Abu Sayyaf video

A disturbing video released by Abu Sayyaf shows Canadian hostage John Risdel being beheaded after Canada’s refusal to pay the ransom for his life.

The brutal video was released on ISIS terrorist Channels under the title “Abu Sayyaf Hostage BEHEADED Pt. 1.”

The title suggests that the remaining two foreigners and one Filipino being held captive in Jolo may be in eminent danger.

Risdel appears in several ransom video released since his kidnapping from Samal Island in September 2015. John appeared along with Robert Hall, Khartan Sekkingstad and the Filipina who was Robert’s girlfriend.

Abu Sayyaf set a one-month deadline, threatening to behead one of its captives.

Factsheet: Abu Sayyaf – Who they are, and what they want

ALSO READ:   Updated UK travel warning now includes parts of Cebu province

20 Comments on "Abducted Canadian John Risdel beheaded on gruesome Abu Sayyaf video"

1. It’s incredibly unsympathetic to host this video! That you brand it with your website URL shows extreme cynicism and lack of respect for the poor family of the deceased. Shame on you!

• Our posting of this video is not the only one out on the world wide web, saying that, many are simply blinded by the reality of living in the Philippines – that said, this video and many things that westerners consider ‘ugly’ are in fact a lesson for those that seamlessly walk around on white sand beaches, blinded by the glare that puts them in harms way, the same as it did for John

• You hit the nail on the head, Timothy. It’s all too common for westerners to be blasé, or worse ignorant, of the dangers within this beautiful paradise.

If you didn’t post the video someone else would (and have). Thanks for the sobering reminder.

RIP John. Condolences to his family.

2. So sad indeed. But God who watches over all the affairs of humanity will one day arise and execute justice in its impartial form

• It’s that kind of ignorant, incomprehensibly moronic worldview which got this man beheaded. Whilst the sadistic piece of shit who beheaded this man did this evil deed, you can hear him chanting repeatedly “Allah akbar” (God is great). You do realise that these pathetic specimens pray to and worship the EXACT SAME GOD that you claim will one day arise and execute justice?

Belief in an imaginary being is at the root of what got this man executed. Your assertion that the SAME imaginary being which apparently commanded these men to slice off another human beings head, will arise and extract justice for his own command is supreme idiocy.

Please, spare us all your wilful ignorance and unforgivable stupidity. There is no excuse for it in this day and age.

• Anonymous | May 4, 2016 at 6:01 pm |

Exact same sentiment. I am a catholic yet I despise the hypocrites who call themselves children of god, believing one day he will punish those who committed those crimes. In fact,these religions are the very reason why our world is in a state of turmoil.

• Al Giorgio Sy | May 4, 2016 at 6:03 pm |

preach it brother

• Mr. Tony Gavin if I may enlighten you, you said “You do realise that these pathetic specimens pray to and worship the EXACT SAME GOD that you claim will one day arise and execute justice?”. EXACT SAME GOD? is Allah and Yahweh the same? Certainly not! Comparing the Allah of the Qur’an and the Yahweh of the Bible, it should be apparent that they could not be referring to the same God. Either the Muslim Allah is the true God or the Christian Yahweh is the true God, or neither is true. As the Law of non-Contradiction teaches, they both cannot be true. One thing should be sure, though, the God of Muhammad cannot be the Father of Jesus.

Jesus is Lord!

• Justice please, Fuck Phillippine Government and fuck to all Politician corrupt, Aquino neglecting government very disgusting This country of Phillippines needs a strong leader like DUTERTE

• Anonymous | May 4, 2016 at 9:02 pm |

No they dont they dont worship The One and only. They do worship a god but not The One.

• Well said my friend.

3. Peter Auckland | May 4, 2016 at 3:05 pm |

I agree with your comment Timothy. Countries issue travel warnings to avoid Mindanao for this very reason. My opinion is the Expats living in Mindanao are incomplete denial of the threat there and should relocate to Luzon or Visayas.

• I lived and traveled Mindanao for almost 10 years, I knew my danger, but I had a lot of travel under my belt in my lifetime – saying that, I also lived 5 kilometers from John’s place where he docked his boat when he was kidnapped.

One man today questioned me why i posted information like this in Bohol Expats group, My reply was simple “pre-warning”

If they can get you in Samal Island, they will gladly get you in Bohol and the many other islands, even those in southern Visayas.

• Anonymous | May 6, 2016 at 2:12 pm |

I agree Timothy. I’ve spent a few years in Tagum City and my wife’s town, Santo Tomas, north of Tagum. She also has family on Samal. Beautiful places, however, despite her family / extended family surrounding me 24/7 (two of them PNP officers) – I don’t see myself travelling to Mindinao or Islands in the vicinity, in the future.

There were a few occasions where I felt somewhat uncomfortable in my surroundings – I value my family, but my life is worth more.

• Anonymous | May 8, 2016 at 6:00 pm |

Entering Bohol with those vessels the ASG is using, is not easy. The beaches are simply too shallow, far into the sea. The only possible location is the harbour. And that harbour is well guarded.

• What makes you think Visayas or Luzon is any safer than Mindanao? Don’t you realize that parts of Visayas are actually closer to Zamboanga and Cotabato than other parts of Mindanao?

4. Anonymous | May 4, 2016 at 5:42 pm |

there is no fucking god islamic or christian it’s just criminals after money bomb Sulu and Jolo and exterminate everyone on them problem solved

5. Leave God out. I believe in God but God would not save these savages from me.

6. Eric taylor | May 4, 2016 at 7:34 pm |

So I leave a comment this is a extremely disturbing video . These are my friends show this video thrust the Philipines every fucking day . These people should be wiped out . If the president lets these people keep controlling and extorting it will never end . The philipine as a loving country is doomed .and the philipine people will loose there pride and beautifull world and way of life. So sad. . Go to the airport to morow and see why happens .

7. Justice please, Fuck Phillippine Government and fuck to all Politician corrupt, Aquino neglecting government very disgusting This country of Phillippines needs a strong leader like DUTERTE

Comments are closed.